Cd'A home damaged in fire; no one injured

Print Article

An emotional Serena Harrison is comforted by a firefighter with the Coeur d'Alene Fire Department while holding her son Owen, 1, Thursday in front of her home that smolders in the background.

COEUR d'ALENE - A chimney fire that broke out Thursday morning caused thousands of dollars in damages at a Coeur d'Alene home.

Coeur d'Alene Fire Department crews extinguished the blaze in five minutes, after the Pennsylvania Avenue homeowner called 911 around 10:45 a.m.

"I came back home and the house was full of smoke and the roof was on fire at the chimney," said an emotional Serena Harrison outside her home in the 1100 block of Pennsylvania Avenue as crews finished putting out the blaze.

Nobody was inside the house at the time the fire broke out.

It started in the chimney and spread to the roof, causing "minimal to moderate damage," topping out at $10,000, according to Bobby Gonder, fire inspector.

Harrison, who lives at the home with her husband, Brian, and their two children, was running errands Thursday morning when she came back home to see the house filled with smoke.

She attempted to put the flames out with an extinguisher before calling for help.

Two cats were inside the house at the time.

"Hopefully, our two cats retreated to the basement," Brian Harrison said outside the scene Thursday morning.

A Coeur d'Alene Fire Department firefighter uses a chainsaw to remove the siding while fighting a fire in the rear of the home on Pennsylvania Avenue.

Print Article

Read More Local News

Another rose record

October 21, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press By DEVIN HEILMAN Staff Writer The love of newlywed couple Warren Swartz, 89, and Joanne Anderson, 78, has blossomed to melt the hearts of everyone they meet. "I was so shocked to fall in lo...

Comments

Read More

Snafu snags a candidate

October 21, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press SPIRIT LAKE — A Spirit Lake Fire District Board candidate believes the district is using a filing error he made against him. Jonathan Hall, who is challenging Mark Miller for Sub-District 2 seat Nov...

Comments

Read More

Jobless rate hits historic Idaho low

October 21, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press POST FALLS — The state's lowest unemployment rate on record dating back to January 1976 is also reflected with a healthy but challenging Kootenai County market. Idaho's jobless rate fell a tenth of ...

Comments

Read More

Cd’A City Hall upper entrance closing Monday

October 21, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press COEUR d’ALENE — Beginning Monday, visitors to Coeur d’Alene City Hall must use the newly-completed downstairs entrance. In an effort to start refurbishing the second floor of City Hall as part of th...

Comments

Read More

Contact Us

(208) 664-8176
215 N. Second St
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83814

©2017 The Coeur d'Alene Press Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X
X