Cigarette causes mobile home fire

Print Article

A discarded cigarette was the cause of a fire that left a single wide mobile home completely destroyed in Post Falls on Friday, according to a Kootenai County Fire and Rescue spokesperson.

Only one home on East Seltice Way in the Hidden Hills mobile home park was affected by the fire that occurred around 2 p.m., said Shaena Dunn with the department.

Owner Jim Houk, who lived alone there, had reported that a still burning cigarette had lit a mattress on fire, Dunn said.

"He went to the bathroom and when he came out he saw the mattress was on fire and left," she said.

Houk was not injured, but the fire devastated his home.

"He lost everything," Dunn said.

Holiday Inn Express in Coeur d'Alene provided Houk with a complimentary room on Friday night, she said. American Red Cross is continuing to assist him, she added.

Dunn couldn't provide the exact address of the mobile home on Saturday.

Print Article

Read More Local News

Search continues for man missing since Friday

July 20, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press By BRIAN WALKER Staff Writer COEUR d'ALENE — Law enforcement agencies are searching for a 50-year-old man who was last heard from on Friday afternoon when he picked up his dogs from a friend in C...

Comments

Read More

Jury vetting process determined

July 20, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press As part of a vetting process, 1,000 Kootenai County residents tapped for the jury pool in the trial of Jonathan D. Renfro must complete a 40-page survey before being selected to appear for a court re...

Comments

Read More

School trustees have eye on elections

July 20, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press The Coeur d’Alene School District Board of Trustees is worried proposed legislation could make kids’ education a partisan issue by moving school board trustee elections to the same time as general el...

Comments

Read More

Fire danger now very high

July 20, 2017 at 3:24 pm | Coeur d'Alene Press The danger of a fire is now very high in Kootenai County. The Kootenai County Fire Chiefs and officials from the Idaho Department of Lands Mica District elevated the fire danger level Thursday. “...

Comments

Read More

Contact Us

(208) 664-8176
215 N. Second St
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83814

©2017 The Coeur d'Alene Press Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X
X