AARP Foundation is again providing free tax assistance and preparation for taxpayers with low to moderate income through the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide program.
"We are pleased to partner with the Internal Revenue Service to help provide clarity for Idaho taxpayers in what can otherwise be a complicated time of the year," said Mark Estess, AARP Idaho State director. "Tax-Aide is an incredible resource for families and individuals across the state."
Local tax sites will be open Feb. 1 to April 15. They include:
* Lake City Center, 1916 Lakewood Drive, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Appointment: 667-4628
* Silver Lake Mall, walk-ins: Monday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday until 7. 446-6997
* Shut-ins: 667-4628 or 687-2028
* Rathdrum Senior Center: 8037 Montana, Tuesday and Thursday, Appointment: 687-2028
* Athol Community Center: 30355 N. Third St., Athol, Monday, Appointment: 683-2407
* Post Falls Senior Center: 1215 E. Third Ave., Tuesday and Thursday, Appointment: 773-9582
Last year, more than 300 AARP Foundation Tax-Aide volunteers helped more than 30,000 people in Idaho file their federal, state and local tax returns.
You do not need to be a member of AARP or a retiree to use this service.
The foundation, in its 46th year, gives special attention to the older population.
The program is offered at 65 sites in Idaho including senior centers, libraries and other convenient locations.
In 2012, AARP Foundation Tax-Aide's 36,000 volunteers at nearly 6,000 sites provided more than 2.5 million people with free tax help.
Taxpayers who used AARP Foundation Tax-Aide received $1.3 billion in income tax refunds and more than $233 million in Earned Income Tax Credits.