Service call a lifesaver

Woman's furnace had gaping hole in heat exchanger

Print Article

POST FALLS - A service call to repair a failed heater may have saved a woman's life.

John Hoffman with RDI Heating and Cooling in Coeur d'Alene said a breach was discovered in the heat exchange of the furnace, that led it to emit dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.

"It's like having an exhaust pipe that's cracked," he said.

The woman, who said Monday she was recovering from the incident and declined to comment, was admitted to the hospital for two days last week after complaining of feeling light-headed, dizzy and nauseous.

The symptoms went away, so she was released Thursday to return home, where she found the furnace had stopped working. She called RDI.

Hoffman said it was then that a "gaping hole" was discovered in the heat exchanger. The furnace was not safe to use, he said.

If the furnace hadn't quit working, Hoffman said the woman could have suffered more health problems.

"People die from CO poisoning," he said.

Hoffman spent some time with the woman Friday, when RDI installed a new furnace. There were emotional moments.

"We sat down and cried and laughed," he said.

Hoffman said homeowners should have their furnaces checked to be sure they are operating correctly.

Print Article

Read More Local News

When wildfire duty calls

July 26, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press By BRIAN WALKER Staff Writer HAYDEN — When pilot Aldo Leonardi receives instructions on the next wildfire he'll attack, his mindset will go to those on scene. "I work for the guys on the gr...

Comments

Read More

Giant die to live on in Cd’A

July 26, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press A wickedly wet and snowy fall and winter delivered more than floodwaters to downtown Coeur d’Alene this spring. In mid-March, a giant game piece, one half of a pair of dice, washed ashore on City Be...

Comments

Read More

Hospital, hospitality go together

July 26, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press By PRESS STAFF Kootenai Health, the Community Cancer Fund and Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Inland Northwest are teaming up to build a hospitality center for patients and their families a...

Comments

Read More

Rathdrum Mountain opening: Wait ’til next year

July 26, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press By BRIAN WALKER Staff Writer RATHDRUM — Rathdrum's property on Rathdrum Mountain won't be open to the public this fall as the city had hoped. After bids to construct the first parking lot at th...

Comments

Read More

Contact Us

(208) 664-8176
215 N. Second St
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83814

©2017 The Coeur d'Alene Press Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X
X