POST FALLS - A fire at the Idaho Veneer plant in Post Falls on Sunday was contained to the silo.
The cause was determined to be a spontaneous ignition of wood chips, according to Kootenai County Fire and Rescue.
The mill was not in operation during the fire.
Fire crews from KCFR, Coeur d'Alene, Northern Lakes and Hauser Lake responded to the business at 704 E. Fourth Ave. at 4 p.m. Firefighters cleared the business at 10 p.m.
While damage was limited, light smoke from the silo may be visible for a few days.
"Fire in this type of fuel is very stubborn as it tends to smolder for long periods of time before showing any smoke or flames," a KCFR press release states. "The only sure way to put the fire out completely is to empty the silo which feeds the boiler and there are no such outlets."
Mill employees on Monday made repairs to a conveyor to allow them to start running the chips to the boiler.
KCFR and mill employees continued to monitor the situation on Monday.
No injuries were reported.