Children with lighter start house fire

Print Article

COEUR d'ALENE - Two children playing with a lighter early Wednesday started a fire that damaged a basement and forced two families in the home to flee.

The 4 and 5 year olds admitted to investigators they used the lighter to start two pillows in their bedroom on fire about 1:15 a.m. in a house on the 500 block of East Wallace Avenue. They said they tried to put the flames out with water, couldn't, then ran and told their parents about the fire.

Glenn Lauper, Coeur d'Alene deputy fire chief, said there were 10 people living in the home, with a family of six upstairs and four people downstairs. Everyone safely escaped.

He said lighters and matches shouldn't be where children can find them.

"We need to keep those out of the hands of kids," Lauper said.

The home also did not have a smoke detector, he said.

Fire damage was limited to the basement, while the rest of the home suffered smoke damage.

The American Red Cross is helping the families find other housing.

The Coeur d'Alene Fire Department and the Idaho State Fire Marshal's Office investigated the blaze and spoke to the children Thursday.

"They explained to us how the fire started," Lauper said.

The fire department said there should be a smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector on each floor of a home.

Print Article

Read More Local News

Search continues for man missing since Friday

July 20, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press By BRIAN WALKER Staff Writer COEUR d'ALENE — Law enforcement agencies are searching for a 50-year-old man who was last heard from on Friday afternoon when he picked up his dogs from a friend in C...

Comments

Read More

Jury vetting process determined

July 20, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press As part of a vetting process, 1,000 Kootenai County residents tapped for the jury pool in the trial of Jonathan D. Renfro must complete a 40-page survey before being selected to appear for a court re...

Comments

Read More

School trustees have eye on elections

July 20, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press The Coeur d’Alene School District Board of Trustees is worried proposed legislation could make kids’ education a partisan issue by moving school board trustee elections to the same time as general el...

Comments

Read More

Fire danger now very high

July 20, 2017 at 3:24 pm | Coeur d'Alene Press The danger of a fire is now very high in Kootenai County. The Kootenai County Fire Chiefs and officials from the Idaho Department of Lands Mica District elevated the fire danger level Thursday. “...

Comments

Read More

Contact Us

(208) 664-8176
215 N. Second St
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83814

©2017 The Coeur d'Alene Press Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X
X