Here’s how you can help save somebody

Print Article

Warning signs of suicide:

• Threats of self-harm, or a past attempt

• Looking for tools — seeking access to firearms, pills, or other means

• Talking or writing about death, dying, or suicide

• Feeling hopeless

• Rage, uncontrolled anger, or seeking revenge by suicide

• Acting reckless, seemingly without thinking

• Feeling trapped, like there’s no way out

• Increased alcohol or drug use

• Withdrawing from friends, family, and society

• Feeling anxious, agitated, unable to sleep or sleeping all the time

• Dramatic mood changes

• Seeing no reason to live or having no sense of purpose in life

Source: National Mental Health Information Center, U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services

I could write about SPAN’s 5K walk on Saturday (9:30 a.m. at Riverstone Park), but we already announced it.

I could write about our family’s personal connection with suicide, but Mike Patrick beat me to it.

I could rehash Idaho’s dismal suicide statistics (57 percent higher than the national average), and the tragedies of even one such loss, but you know that already.

So instead of dwelling, let’s focus on what we can do. That’s the primary point of National Suicide Prevention Week, and it’s healthier and more helpful to act.

Simply put: (1) Many are tempted, at least at some point in life; (2) There is always hope, because the only thing certain in life is change; (3) Communicating that hope, consistently and without judgment, is an action anyone can take — and may save a life.

Most who intend suicide show warning signs (see inset on page C3). Take them seriously; it’s not worth assuming such feelings will pass. Talk; don’t be afraid to ask if someone is feeling suicidal. Don’t act shocked or upset. Just ask why and listen patiently; seek to understand, rather than argue. Acknowledge feelings, but offer reasons for hope and good things about their life, or life generally. Be realistic about these, but not glib or dismissive.

Above all, reassure they are loved, wanted, needed, and that you are there to help them through this. Things will change, or at least their feelings will. Remove from access all means of suicide (guns, knives, pills). If they’re willing to see a counselor, help them make the appointment and offer a ride.

Those struggling, and those left behind, may benefit from the support of others who’ve been there. Suicide Prevention and Action Network meets monthly on third Wednesdays at 4 p.m. at Panhandle Health District, 8500 N. Atlas Road in Hayden. Survivor support meetings are first Wednesdays at 7 p.m. at Mountain States Early Head Start, 411 N. 15th in Coeur d’Alene.

Need help now? Call (800) 273-TALK or connect with SPAN at spanidaho.org or spannorth@gmail.com.

•••

Sholeh Patrick is a columnist for the Hagadone News Network who is grateful not only to SPAN, but to all counselors, volunteers, and activists who work to prevent even one more from succeeding. Thank you. Sholeh@cdapress.com.

Print Article

Read More Columns

Smile: You’re on kinky camera!

November 23, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press Turns out some new android apps are actually scanning your android phone for suggestive or outright lewd photographs, without the owner’s knowledge. (Not the kind of photos for your family Christmas ...

Comments

Read More

Today’s holiday knows no borders

November 23, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press While origins and particulars vary, setting aside a day of thanks for bountiful harvests is a tradition pervading human history. Ancient Egyptians celebrated the spring harvest by honoring their fe...

Comments

Read More

Let’s all (burp) toast Thanksgiving

November 23, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press Thanksgiving is the one day when 75 percent of Americans celebrate both family and football. The other 25 percent will be watching either soccer or bowling, and that number appears to be increasing...

Comments

Read More

Main Street: Actors inspire with Out of the Shadows

November 22, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press Over the weekend I spent a couple of hours being incredibly entertained and inspired at the Out of the Shadows performance of “Fiddler on the Roof.” It was my first time to experience a shadow acting...

Read More

Contact Us

(208) 664-8176
215 N. Second St
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83814

©2017 The Coeur d'Alene Press Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X
X