Anthony Michael Lund, of Rathdrum, was recently sworn in as a Midshipman in the U.S. Naval Reserve at the United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) in Kings Point, N.Y. Lund was nominated by Sens. Mike Crapo and James Risch, and Congressman Raul Labrador of Idaho’s 1st Congressional District.
The United States Merchant Marine Academy is a federal service academy that educates and graduates licensed Merchant Marine officers. In addition to the rigorous academic and physical requirements for admission, applicants must be nominated by their Congressman or Senator.
All USMMA graduates earn both a Bachelor of Science degree and a Merchant Marine Officer license, and incur an obligation to serve the country as an active or reserve officer in the U.S. armed forces.
As part of his four-year education, Lund will spend one year training as a cadet aboard ocean going vessels. USMMA is the only federal academy where students train on commercial vessels traveling around the globe.
• • •
Submit your milestones to email@example.com or in person at the Coeur d’Alene Press, 215 Second St., Coeur d’Alene, ID 83814.
• Wedding anniversaries for couples married 25 years and every fifth year thereafter (2 photos accepted)
• Engagement announcements (1 photo accepted)
• Wedding announcements (1 photo accepted)
• Births (1 photo accepted)
• Milestone birthdays at age 70 and every fifth year thereafter or every year after age 90 (1 photo accepted)
• Generations (1 photo accepted)
• Academic honors and higher education accomplishments (1 photo accepted)
• Military announcements (1 photo accepted)
Deadline is 3 p.m. Tuesdays.