Mercury spill at Lakeland Junior High

Print Article

Students were evacuated from a Lakeland Junior High School classroom Wednesday morning after an accidental spill of about one teaspoon of mercury.

The spill occurred at 10:20 in an eighth-grade science lab where students were learning about the periodic table, according to a news release from the school district.

Four students who were in the immediate vicinity of the spill were evaluated and released to their parents.

“As you know, our No. 1 priority is always the safety of our students. Now that the students have been cleared, our focus shifts to the building,” said an email message sent late Wednesday from the superintendent’s office. “The hazmat team will begin the process of testing the classroom and surrounding areas. This may take several hours, but notifications will be sent as we are updated. All bus routes, dismissal times, and after school activities remain on normal schedule.”

The regional hazardous material team, Department of Environmental Quality, Rathdrum Police and Northern Lakes Fire District all responded to the school.

Mercury is poisonous. Harmful effects to the brain, kidneys and lungs can develop depending on how much and for how long mercury vapor is inhaled, according to the U.S. Agency for Health and Human Services’ Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. For more information, visit www.atsdr.cdc.gov/dontmesswithmercury.

Print Article

Read More Local News

AFTER FIVE YEARS AND $100 MILLION, IDAHO REMAINS FAR FROM ITS ’60 PERCENT GOAL’

December 11, 2017 at 6:21 pm |   Idaho has committed more than $100 million since 2013 to turn high school graduates into college students. Now, thousands of high school students can earn free college credits. High schools can hir...

Read More

A new house for Bady

December 11, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press Post Falls Police Department's newest K9 officer-in-training, Bady, now has a premium place to wind down after a day of fighting crime. "What we ask these dogs to do is pretty demanding. They’r...

Comments

Read More

Santa, I’ve been good...

December 11, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press COEUR d’ALENE — After she carefully dropped a red-enveloped letter into a special mailbox sending precious requests to the North Pole, Jordan Clifford scampered away, full of excitement. She was pre...

Comments

Read More

New scam targets pizza delivery app

December 11, 2017 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press My “new and improved” website works! It can be found at www.billbrooksconsumeradvocate.com. I’ve had to change my handle from The CDA Press Consumer Guy to Bill Brooks, Consumer Advocate. It turns ou...

Comments

Read More

Contact Us

(208) 664-8176
215 N. Second St
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83814

©2017 The Coeur d'Alene Press Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X
X