Several ceremonies open to the public to honor veterans for Veterans Day are planned for this weekend.
• The city of Hayden and its Veterans Commission will hold the annual Veterans Day Ceremony at 11 a.m. and recognize the 2017 Distinguished Veteran of the Year, Harold Markiewicz, at Hayden City Hall near the PFC Robert J. Gordon Veterans Memorial Plaza.
• An inaugural celebration organized by the Kootenai County Veterans Council will be held at American Legion Post 143, 1138 E. Poleline Ave., Post Falls, from 6 to 10 p.m. There will be a cocktail party, music by the Jon and Rand Band, and heavy hors d'oeuvres. Attire is business casual. Cost is $25 per person. Sen. Marv Hagedorn, R-Meridian, will speak from 7:45 p.m. to 8 p.m. Information: 208-773-9054
• Christ the King Lutheran Church, 1700 E. Pennsylvania Ave., Coeur d'Alene, will hold a veterans service at 5 p.m., followed by a free meal and entertainment at 6 p.m.
• The Coeur d’Alene Tribe’s Warrior Society will hold a ceremony at 11 a.m. at the Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes trailhead in Plummer. The ceremony will conclude with a free lunch at the Worley Longhouse.
• A free Veterans Recognition Ceremony sponsored by American Legion Post 154, the Northwest Guardian Riders and city of Rathdrum will be held at 2 p.m. at Lakeland High in Rathdrum. There will be refreshments, entertainment, door prizes and special prizes. All veterans will be honored and Korean War vets will receive a medal as the group receiving special recognition this year. Doors open at 1 p.m. Information: 509-981-3413