A fast, casual restaurant with a passion for hearty and flavorful food, Firehouse Subs opens today at 1422 W. Appleway (near Cracker Barrel).
The menu includes hot and cold sub sandwiches, salads, sides, kids' options and catering. The place has tables and individual seating for 54 people, outside umbrella seating and take-out. Hours are 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. A cool mural of fire rigs and Lake Coeur d'Alene is on one wall, and TVs will have the Super Bowl.
Founded by brothers and former firefighters Chris and Robin Sorenson, the brand is built on decades of fire and police service. Its Firehouse Subs Foundation gives back money for fire station equipment, training and support. The company has more than 1,105 locations in 44 states, Puerto Rico and Canada. Local owners are brothers Kyle and Jared Staples.
Phone 208-765-7827. Check www.firehousesubs.com. Watch for other businesses coming to the same building.
Idaho iRepair in Riverstone
A smart phone, tablet and computer repair shop, Idaho iRepair has opened at 1970 N. Beebe Blvd. in Riverstone.
The company also purchases devices and sells them refurbished. With an emphasis in Apple and Android mobile technologies, the company was founded in 2013 in Boise. This is its 11th location. Owner is Cory Meisenheimer.
Hours here are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Phone 208-889-8757. Check www.idahoiphones.com.
Coeur Beauty Bar in Fairground Center
A hair and nail salon, Coeur Beauty Bar will open Monday in Suite 2 of Fairground Center at 4055 N. Government Way.
Offering quality services and using “the best products available,” the salon is a creation (coeur) of nine friends who have long worked together at other places — Donna Brand, Karen Corbit, Rena Clark, Carrie Bomar, Kelsey Yelland, Idella Mansfield, Riki Moreland, Sarah Ferguson and Marissa Brand.
Appointments are Monday through Saturday with walk-ins welcome upon availability. Phone 208-964-5230. Check CoeurBeautyBar on Facebook.
H2HCTC teaches self defense
The Hand to Hand Combat Training Center (H2HCTC) teaches self defense and opened last week at 10223 Taryne St. (the former Grizzly Glass building near Highway 95 and Dakota Street).
“We teach a combined form of martial arts called Koden Kan with elements of karate, jujitsu, aikido, judo, kickboxing and multiple weapons,” said spokesman Michael Foley, who was with U.S. Army Special Operations Command for 23 years. “It's a good alternative for going to the gym, a family activity, new healthy hobby with confidence, self-improvement and a fun activity with benefits.”
Instructors include Broughton Beggs, Brendan Beggs, Jake Albertson, Ezekiel Lewis, Eli Lewis, Brian Crain, Anastasia Beggs, Jennifer Wright and Reagan Crain.
Classes are weekdays after 3 p.m. Phone 208-719-0227. Check www.handtohandcombat trainingcenter.com.
Now for the Tidbits
• Sonrise Urban Taquera will open in March where Victory Tap House was at Sixth and Sherman.
• Super 1 Foods will open in March in Athol.
• Watch Enchanted and Twice Is Nice coming to Fairground Center on Government Way.
• New to Riverstone are Splendiferous Bazaar and The Glo Bar.
• Body Mechanics with physical therapy and massage is opening in March at 1522 E. Sherman Ave.
• Zips Drive-In will open in April where Burger Express had been at 715 E. Sherman. Yes, Zips had been there earlier.
• Chamira will be closing in The Plaza Shops.
• Just Baked bakery and cafe will be with Andrus Fine Art at 6491 E. Seltice Way.
• Honey Co. restaurant will open in the spring where The Cellar was downtown on Sherman.
• Stem Cell Centers will be moving from Post Falls to Coeur d'Alene.
• Radicci Restaurant will open soon where Danaan's Deli was in Hayden.
• Ellenbecker Eye Clinic will move this summer from 2140 Riverstone Drive to nearby 2020. Coeur d'Alene Plastic Surgery will move at 1875 N. Lakewood Drive.
• Renovation is underway at the former Kelly's Pub building at 726 N. Fourth St. This spring it will be a breakfast-lunch eatery called Ten/6.
• Badass Backyard Brewing will be in Suite C at 317 E. Coeur d'Alene Ave. Pizza & Pretzels will open in Silver Lake Mall.
• ICCU is building a new place near Winco. Several new apartment buildings will be there also.
• Staybridge Suites hotel is under construction in Riverstone with a $10 million building permit.
• Openings coming on Fourth Street include the Relic Moon, offering piercing and body jewelry, and the White Pine coffee place.
• New construction off Mullan Avenue will be a Coachman Auto Body. And neighboring Kootenai Motors is moving to Hayden
• A new Asian eatery will be where the Kynrede Cafe was removed in Hayden. Watch for El Taco Loco off Canfield Avenue.
• Are only males in a freshmen class?
• Hmmm ... Will Trader Joe's ever come here?
• Why do most of the dark-time bike riders seem to wear black?
• Contact Nils Rosdahl at firstname.lastname@example.org.