Some large cities are considering banning the sale of large sugary drinks to children. Would you support a local ban? - Coeur d'Alene Press: Entertainment

Some large cities are considering banning the sale of large sugary drinks to children. Would you support a local ban?

Total Votes: 942

Loading…

Welcome to the discussion.

6 comments:

  • Keven Johnson posted at 9:21 am on Tue, Jun 26, 2012.

    Keven Johnson Posts: 1243

    OF COURSE children shouldn't be routinely drinking 64 ounce soda pops - - but that is the PARENT'S job to regulate or control, not the city (or any other) government. Seriously? 30 percent of you actually believe that the proper role of city government is to be our children's mommy? City government should fix the pothole in the street in front of my house (actually they did after 9 years!) and let the childrens mom and dad govern how much soda their kids drink.

     
  • Mahiun posted at 5:56 pm on Sun, Jun 24, 2012.

    Mahiun Posts: 4774

    Personally I think "soft drinks" CAN be bad for people. But you know It's my decision to make for myself...
    But you are (presumably) not a child. They're not talking about banning the sale outright, altogether, not available to anyone. They're talking about banning the sale of these mega-drinks to children.

    They're talking about, "Here, kids --- if you have to have this stuff at all, have 12 ounces, not 64 or 72 ounces. Or better yet, have some water!" The adults in the store are still free to say, "Hey, it's my</b. morbidly obese body; I'll put whatever i want in it. Now, fork over the Big Gulp --- and the Jim Beam and the Marlboros!"

     
  • Xacto11 posted at 11:38 am on Thu, Jun 21, 2012.

    Xacto11 Posts: 19

    No need to ban them. Just make every kid do 50 chin-ups on the store's government mandated chin-up bar before being allowed to complete the purchase.

     
  • milburnschmidt posted at 8:36 am on Thu, Jun 21, 2012.

    milburnschmidt Posts: 1161

    Once upon a time City Govts only business was collect taxes, maintain public safety and take care of the streets. Fotr them to decide on our diets or micro manage our lives is a duty they have taken on themselves as if they were qualified to make those decisions. Obviously we have a growing population who are unable to function without the direction of others and others money who probably love the attention. Once the Dept of Public food starts with soda can pizza,fried chicken and hershey bars be next. Then we will need a Dept of culture making sure everyone gets the proper entertainment and a cultural expirience and stop lingerie football and replace it with Sholeh Patricks thoughts on Predudice. Start with selling the school buses and make the little rugrats walk to school.

     
  • BoxcarBill posted at 1:30 am on Thu, Jun 21, 2012.

    BoxcarBill Posts: 1074

    What needs to be banned is our horrible, hypocritical, for profit, mind wash culture. The obesity problem is due to the general populace being conditioned never to say no. No to food, no to corrupt government, no to false religion.
    What goes around comes around.
    Brainwash people into over eating then ban one specific aspect of it.
    Condemn torture then do it yourself.
    Privatize profits, socialize losses.

     
  • yarply posted at 4:46 pm on Wed, Jun 20, 2012.

    yarply Posts: 485

    Personally I think "soft drinks" CAN be bad for people. But you know It's my decision to make for myself and It's not the governments job to tell me what to eat and drink. Thank you very much. And I am not so dumb that I can't see this for what it is. Control over peoples children by the food and soft drink police and then control over me. Large drinks are bad for you. NO! You can't have salt. Uh uh. Put that beer down you weigh just a few to many pounds.

    No. As in other states, once it starts, it will just be a snow ball effect.... I hope you 35% know that.

    35 % falls in that magical range of numbers, which in the governing authorities mindset rate as the minority, where the other 65 % is the majority. Not listening to what the minority wants and instead doing what the majority wants would be a discriminatory act under anti discrimination laws. So get ready for a ban.

     
default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
Not you?||
Logout|My Dashboard

Stocks