Cigarette causes mobile home fire - Coeur d'Alene Press: Local News

Cigarette causes mobile home fire

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 12:00 am

A discarded cigarette was the cause of a fire that left a single wide mobile home completely destroyed in Post Falls on Friday, according to a Kootenai County Fire and Rescue spokesperson.

Only one home on East Seltice Way in the Hidden Hills mobile home park was affected by the fire that occurred around 2 p.m., said Shaena Dunn with the department.

Owner Jim Houk, who lived alone there, had reported that a still burning cigarette had lit a mattress on fire, Dunn said.

"He went to the bathroom and when he came out he saw the mattress was on fire and left," she said.

Houk was not injured, but the fire devastated his home.

"He lost everything," Dunn said.

Holiday Inn Express in Coeur d'Alene provided Houk with a complimentary room on Friday night, she said. American Red Cross is continuing to assist him, she added.

Dunn couldn't provide the exact address of the mobile home on Saturday.

More about

More about

More about

  • Discuss

Welcome to the discussion.

3 comments:

  • My2sence posted at 11:09 am on Tue, Sep 18, 2012.

    My2sence Posts: 317

    1inIdaho: I'd like to discuss this more with you in detail, can you meet me at two rivers casino this weekend in the slots area?

     
  • Mark on the Park posted at 9:23 am on Tue, Sep 18, 2012.

    Mark on the Park Posts: 471

    1inIdaho: So, you're not a fan of smoking?

     
  • 1inIdaho posted at 11:49 am on Mon, Sep 17, 2012.

    1inIdaho Posts: 279

    I don't begrudge smokers their high. If you need nicotine to get you through the day; that's your deal. But I think that smoking cigarettes, as a delivery method for that drug, should be banned!
    First of all; it is filthy. It pollutes the air... not just from the smoke while someone is smoking; but the residue sticks to walls & surfaces, and the stench permeates carpets, clothing, furniture, etc. and lingers for weeks.
    Second; smokers are indiscriminate with their ash... it is flicked on the ground, on floors, out car windows... and is utterly gross.
    Third; smokers are indiscriminate with how they dispose of their buts. We have anti-littering ordinances; but I have never seen a smoker cited for flicking a but on the ground, out a car window, etc. Fires are started by still-smoldering butts flicked into brush or dry grass, or trash cans. They even inadvertently destroy their own homes and property, like this idiot.
    Fourth; smokers display utter disregard to private property... placing burning cigarettes on the edges of counters, sinks, toilet paper dispensers, and trash cans. The ugly black & brown burn marks on virtually every surface in a public place, is testament to this.

    I'm not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to ingest nicotine... I'm just saying that they shouldn't be allowed to do it by smoking cigarettes. If smoking ONLY affected the individual person smoking that cigarette; I wouldn't have a problem with it. But smoking pollutes the environment, and causes a health and safety hazard to EVERYONE... even those who don't use nicotine, or smoke.

     
default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
Not you?||
Logout|My Dashboard

Stocks