Don’t let fire ignite the holiday

Print Article

If a winter storm were to knock out power, our house would be a beacon of light. The man of the house is candle-obsessed.

Two of every five holiday house fires are started by candles, so it’s a wonder our house still stands. According to the National Fire Protection Association, nearly half of decoration fires happen because something was placed too close to a heat source. Although Christmas tree fires are not common, they are more likely to be serious, especially by January when the tree has dried out.

The NFPA offers these holiday safety tips:

Decorating

• Choose flame-resistant or retardant decorations.

• Keep candles away from other items, and never put one in a tree.

• Lights: Check and respect labeled indoor/outdoor uses. Replace strings with worn or broken cords, or loose bulbs. Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so cords aren’t damaged.

• Keep decorations away from windows and doors.

• Turn off all lights before going to bed.

Choosing a tree

• Look for fresh, green needles which don’t fall off when touched.

• Before placing in the stand, cut 2 inches from the base, and keep it at least 3 feet from any heat source, such as a fireplace, radiator, or heat vent. Don’t let it block an exit. Add water daily.

Entertaining

• Test smoke alarms and tell guests about your home fire escape plan.

• Keep children and pets away from candles.

• Keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet.

• Stay in the kitchen when cooking on the stovetop.

• Ask smokers to smoke outside, and to keep their smoking materials with them, preventing access by children. Provide large, deep ashtrays, and wet cigarette butts with water before discarding.

After Christmas get rid of the tree quickly. Dried-out trees are a fire danger and should not be left in the home, garage, or yard. Check this newspaper later for free tree recycling programs.

And please stay safe for the holidays.

•••

Sholeh Patrick is a columnist for the Hagadone News Network who admittedly enjoys the ambiance of a candlelit room. Contact her at Sholeh@cdapress.com.

Print Article

Read More Sholeh Patrick

Opinion - Patrick: Lao Tzu’s four rules for living

June 19, 2018 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press Lao Tzu (Lao Tse or Laozi) was an ancient Chinese philosopher and founder of Taoism. Said to be a contemporary of Confucius around 550 B.C.E., in his book “Tao Te Ching” he described four cardinal vi...

Comments

Read More

You’re a grand old (living) flag

June 14, 2018 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press What is it about a piece of cloth that can cause such intense emotion? Nearly two and a half centuries after a painful war of independence and its official adoption by the Continental Congress on Jun...

Comments

Read More

Tough guys take care of themselves

June 12, 2018 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press For men and all who love them: This is Men’s Health Week — a perfect prelude to Father’s Day. Since memorialized by congressional resolution in 1994, the annual program heightens awareness of commo...

Comments

Read More

NATO: Why keep a boot in Europe?

June 07, 2018 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press Mrs. Language Person stumbled in Tuesday’s column about acronyms and initialisms, defining NATO as the North Atlantic Treaty Alliance. Turns out, that’s not entirely wrong. While the “O” indeed stand...

Comments

Read More

Contact Us

(208) 664-8176
215 N. Second St
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83814

©2018 The Coeur d'Alene Press Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X
X